So, recently things haven't been good. My grandpa was in the hospital. Then he died. Then I had to go to his funeral.
Now, one of my classmates, Julio, died yesterday. Alcohol poisoning. What really sucks is that I really knew him.
My family was friends with another family. My mom and the mom of the other family shared maternity clothes. My sister spent the night at their house almost every weekend. Julio was friends with that family.
We had birthday parties together. I had a surprise party there. I walked into the backyard and they threw water balloons at me. Julio was there and we all had a water fight. We had a party for him. And had a food fight with the cake... My dad pinned me down and Julio shoved cake in my face. Up my nose.
We were all at the family friends' house one day. And we got into a duct tape war. We all taped each other. (I was excluded. I had a swim meet the next day)
Then yesterday my mom asked if I knew someone named Julio (she pronounced it jewel-E-O). I instantly thought of two. the one I was talking about & the smart one (he's a super-genius). We got home and she showed us a page on facebook. "Prayer's for Julio" (the apostrophe there bugs me...). Then later I get a text. It was a forward telling everyone to wear black. Then in school today, they had an announcement about him. His funeral is Saturday.
We weren't exactly friends, but we were friends with the same people. So we might go to his funeral.
That's all for today.
It's horrible when acquaintances die, especially when they die young. It just makes death seem so much more imminent. Someone in my class died when I was in eighth grade, but I didn't know him that well (he was hospitalized a few months into seventh grade for leukemia). That didn't change the fact that I felt horrible and shocked. Death seems to happen to "those other people," never us, never anyone close to us...and then, it happens. Death is scary not only because it is so unpredictable, but also because we don't think it will happen (which is the same thing, I suppose...).
ReplyDelete...And I have no idea where I was going with this, but I'm really sorry that Julio had to die at such a young age and that you and your class and your family had to lose someone that they all knew well. :( And I'm sorry about the string of deaths you've had to go through. :(
I'm sorry about this, Ama. I agree with Sana, events like these do make you feel that much more mortal. Definitely very humbling.
ReplyDeleteHope you get through this just fine :D
Amarantha,
ReplyDeleteI express my most sincere condolences for your recently deceased loved ones. Let this be a testament to the sanctity of life and the dangers that we as adolescents must avoid in order to reach adulthood.
thanks everyone
ReplyDelete*hugs*
oh no, I'm sorry Amar. I'm not quite sure what to say...death is a hard thing. :( You'll be alright?
ReplyDelete@skys yeah. it's a hard thing. and I'll be okay.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry about Julio, Amarantha. It's always so terrible or shocking to hear of someone so young dying, especially if you know him or her.
ReplyDeleteI shouldn't be on the computer but I am anyway :P
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I'm so sorry about Julio- as you know, my grandma and my classmate died this year too. It hurts and I think that the best thing for you to do is to go to the funeral. Even if you didn't know him that well, it's good to get it all out and let go. We had a memorial and I cried so hard. I felt much better afterwards. I'm pretty sure that it will be the same for you.
If you need to talk, feel free to email me anytime *hugs*