I have this on my other blog, and I'm gonna post it here too, since I have more followers on this blog.
So I'm gonna try something. Hopefully this will help my writing skills. And I need to work on creativity, so I will do all of these fictionally.
Prompt: Write a letter to yourself that you will open in 6 months. Include accomplishments and concerns that you don't want "future you" to forget.
***
The lights stopped spinning. I was laying on the ground. What happened? Then I remembered. I used the professor's time machine. He told me not to, but I did anyways. I was going to use it to warn myself. I could help avoid the apocalypse.
Time is tricky. The whole space-time continuum thing. You have to be careful when interacting with the past. Ever hear of the butterfly effect? If I saw myself today, I could ruin everything.
I went back 5 years. I only needed to go back four and a half years. But since I can't just initiate a conversation with myself, I planned on writing a letter. I would leave instructions to open it later. I lived in the same house for over five years, so I still had the key. I wrote the letter and walked home.
On my way home, I ran into someone. "Oh. Sorry." Then I looked up. He looked the same as he would five years later. But he would let his black hair grow out longer in the future. His face was smooth. No facial hair and he didn't have the scar yet. He knew me in the past-or his present, I guess. But he wouldn't recognize me. I used to have long wavy blonde hair, but I had chopped it all off into a chin length bob and I died it black.
It would have been bad if he would have recognized me. He would have kissed me and walked me home. That's what you do with someone you're dating. Six months after the present date, we would get married. Nine months after that, we would have the twins, Rose and Mary.
Sadly, that couldn't happen. I regretted what I had to do. He was the reason I was in the past. We both worked for the same company. He work in Genetic Studies. He was going to create a genetic weapon. It would be injected into expecting mothers. Their babies would have several genetic alterations. They would be perfect weapons. Nothing could hurt them. Not disease. Not fire. Not suffocation. They would be invisible. I couldn't let that happen.
I finally reached my house. It was a small, one floor building, but I had lived there my whole life. I walked past the flower bed and opened the door. I walked into the kitchen. There was a small cupboard next to the sink. I always put important documents there. I had altered it so it would be water proof and fire proof.
I put the paper in the cupboard. I looked around and then I left.I thought about the note and I hoped my past counterpart would understand it. I was going to break my own heart.
To: Me
From: Me
WARNING! Do not open until March 8, 2011.
I know this will be hard to understand. Today you are supposed to get married. Justin won't be there. He loves you. He would do anything for you. But he won't be there. Your kids won't exist. He caused the end of the world.
I hope you understand why I had to kill him.
I'm sorry. It's for the best.
***
So, it's not exactly what it had asked for...but do you like it? (do you like the story itself? Do you like workshop Wednesdays?)
I'm pretty sure these workshops will help. I've looked back at my past writing for my book. I started November 2009. The stuff I've written recently is a whole lot better than the stuff I wrote back then.
Should I continue the writer's workshops? And would you like to be a character in one?
Au revoir. Je m'en vais.
-Amarantha93
O_o...nice letter...time's a complicated bugger, isn't it? lol.
ReplyDelete